Search This Blog

Check Out My Lego Star Wars set reviews

Wednesday 16 September 2015

Lego Star Wars History, part 1: The 'Golden' Age Of The Clone Wars

rocket battle droid and rocket battle droid commander
Some of us just try to forget the whole Clone Wars theme and hope Lego won't make more. But was it that bad? Even some sets didn't make OT (the original trilogy) fans shout for joy, it possibly brought us something nice as well. Let's have a look at the tops and flops of the Clone Wars and then we can make up our minds whether it was good or bad.

2008 - Starfighters and gunships

I had collected some sets earlier, but this was the year I really understood where I was going. It wasn't the best time getting into Lego world: the golden year of 2005 was far behind and the big modern era was yet to come.

I picked up Anakin's Jedi Starfighter (#7669). I was quite happy with it as I really wanted to get the Anakin minifig. Today when it's compared it to the other starfighters, even to Ahsoka's starfighter (#7751) which was released one year later it look a bit poor. But it was not all bad, I truly respect is as one good step in getting into LSW.

Then we'll talk a bit about the droid sets: Hailfire Droid & Spider Droid (#7670) and (#7681) Separatist Spider Droid. They're no way iconic or epic, but they were a great boost for droid army collecting. And at least they weren't total flops as TLG has made remakes of both sets.

2009 - The set I always wanted

Venator-Class Republic Attack Cruiser (#8039) is the set I always wanted. I looked at it in every shop and catalogue, was really impressed, even took part to some draw to win it. But the price tag was too big in my mind. Ironic, when I bought it last year I paid 50€ extra. I was so exited when I saw it in a Finnish online shop. I had bought Super Star Destroyer just weeks ago but was like I can't miss the chance. And? Now it's lying around half-assebled as it came with a minor quality issue in one brick and I've not yet ordered a replacement. So the set you always wanted may not be the set you'll enjoy the most.

It's was a droid year too. We got a vulture droid, corporate alliance tank droid, hyena bomber and so on. The best droid related set was AAT (#8018). The tank looks pretty impressing and who would not want to get a Clone Wars Yoda, haha?

Republic Drpopship with AT-OT Walker (#10195) was another highlight I missed. I got it this year and I'm really impressed by the AT-OT walker even it'll be in trouble if it gets bombed.

2010 - The year of the Turbo Tank

2010 didn't bring us loads of outstanding sets. The most impressing is (#8098) Clone Turbo Tank. I must say it looks impressing.

Cad Bane's Speeder (#8128) was an interesting one as well. It brought us bounty hunters and senate commandos. The set was a bit pricey, though.

2011 - The video game

Lego Star Wars III The Clone Wars was released in 2011. It was full of extra levels and everything but only one level about the movie! I understand the movie was old and forgotten and the TV serie was going on but still it was a bit odd.

There were many Geonosis sets, two battle packs but nothing very memorable. The video game kinda stole the attention even it could've been better.

2012 - Malevolence is here

Only five Clone Wars related sets were released. The most impressing must be Malevolence (#9515) even it came kinda late as it appeared in the first season on The Clone Wars.

I don't say the rest of the sets were flops but they weren't mind blowing must-haves. We got a battle pack, another starfighter, a Geonosis set again and a Mandalorian theme set.

2013 - Umbaran flops

Three Umbaran related sets were released in 2013. I can still find them from shops so they have been a flop at least here in Finland. It's not a surprise as they weren't the most awesome sets and the TV serie wasn't shown here anymore.

2014 - Less sets means less disappointments

Coruscant Police Gunship (#75046) was an okay set and shock trooper were a great add. The Clone Wars was pretty much a gone theme so there's not much to say about it.

2015 - That's it

Only one set has been released so far and I don't think there will be more. So that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to see in this blog? Now you can contribute!